What I Carry When Working on the Go – My Modern Briefcase
I remember being envious of my dad when he would pull anything out of his briefcase when I was younger. For some reason, I felt like I needed to have one even though my most important documents at that time were vocabulary words teaching me when to use “ie” or “ei.” Now that I’m older and have a career, I get overly excited about what to pack in my “briefcase.” A while ago, I spent months trying to find some beautiful, leather, traditional briefcase to carry when I needed to transport my materials for work, but nothing looked remotely cute enough for me to want to pair with my work clothes. Who says we have to carry a traditional work bag?! I found a very inexpensive tote that fits what I need perfectly without being cumbersome. Best of all, the bag AND the contents coordinate (I’m a dork, I know). Take a peek inside my bag to see what I carry in my modern briefcase.
Moment of truth, I don’t spend the majority of my work time outside of my office. The main reasons I work outside of my office include local drip marketing, attending local networking luncheon or educational seminars relevant to my industry, and the occasional travel to other properties for company training and meetings. Most days I carry these items with me to and from work, however. I find myself working on a blog post during my lunch break or jotting down a note for work in the evenings when I’m at home. I want to be prepared for either of those situations.
The only items not pictured are my wallet, keys, phone, and lippie choice of the day. I typically won’t carry a separate purse since this bag allows me to fit everything together. Just thinking about carrying and keeping up with two bags makes me sad. No no no.
- Y’all. The bag is from Wal-Mart and is reversible. It costs $10 while holding up like high-quality leather. I’m super surprised and impressed. I love a good deal that doesn’t look like a good deal. It’s still available! Check it out here.
- I carry an iPad Pro, you might have a laptop or any other tablet. Luckily for us, we have technology to carry around all the important info and gain access to our software. It should go without saying, but make sure you have your passwords with you. I only say this because I have not had access to mine before. It’s a struggle. I would have LOVED this reminder when I bought this device and didn’t think to write them down or save them.
- I have to make sure I can see! My glasses aren’t on my face as often as they should be. Contacts scare me, despite the fact that I’m 28 years old. I should just suck it up and take the dive right? How do people touch their eyeballs regularly?! Someone please help me with this.
- Okay, I’m a sucker for cute office supplies and stationary. Could I take organized and easily printable notes on my iPad? Absolutely. Would I have as much fun? Nope. Ever since I’ve been in college, I’ve always opted to take hand written notes. Taking the time to write down the information helps me retain it. My boss/mentor/friend bought me this notebook as a token of appreciation earlier this year, and it’s so pretty. Unfortunately I can’t link it since it was a gift, but I always browse Target for cute notebooks or office supplies in general.
- I care about my writing utensils more than the average person would or should. In elementary school I was part of a group that traded and collected different types of pencils, so my obsession goes waaaay back. I bought this flowery gem at Target about a year ago. Again, Target is a reliable source of cute office supplies. I can’t say this enough.
- SNACKS. I have food anxiety. I need to know the location of food and how long it will take me to get to it at all times. Carrying something healthy and easy with me puts me at ease.
I would love to hear what you carry with you in your work bag. Let me know what you can’t leave the house without!
Be notified periodically of posts by subscribing here!